Whether it’s what you need to know before trying popular diets like keto or how to eat less added sugar, nutrition advice can be hard to sort through. That’s why we focused on the latest research and sought advice from experts. Here, our top 10 nutrition stories of the year, plus a bonus editor’s pick.
1. 8 Foods That Are Surprisingly Good For Weight Loss
From nut butters to dark chocolate, an RD shares her favorite foods for weight loss, and you’ll want to add them to your grocery list.
2. 7 Tiny Tweaks to Cut Calories All Year Long
Whether it’s drinking your coffee black or opting for mustard instead of mayo, these small changes can make a big difference.
3. 10 Things to Know Before Trying the Ketogenic Diet
This controversial diet was certainly buzzy in 2018 — here’s what RDs want you to consider before adopting the eating plan.
4. 10 Things to Know Before Trying the DASH Diet
Unlike keto, this diet tends to fly under the radar but many doctors recommend it as a way to lower cholesterol and improve the variety of foods you eat. If you’re interested in other diets, check out more stories from our 10 Things to Know series.
5. What 1,500 Calories Looks Like
This sample menu shows you 1,500 calories per day can be nutritious, filling and delicious. You can see more visuals of portion sizes, such as what 1,200- and 2,000-calories looks like here.
6. 4 Myths Nutritionists Wish People Would Forget
You’re probably familiar with the advice to ‘eat clean’ but some experts argue “the phrase should be taken out of circulation.”
7. 10 of the Healthiest Fast-Food Dishes You Can Order
You don’t have to give up eating at your favorite fast-food chains as long as you choose wisely and keep things small, with lean proteins and fewer condiments.
8. Beyond Zoodles: 6 Alternative Pastas, Ranked
If you want to take a break from regular, flour-based pasta, we took a look at how six alternatives compare in terms of fiber, protein, taste and more.
9. 7 Smart Ways to Cut Sugar From Your Diet
Added sugar (unlike naturally occurring sugar found in whole foods) can wreak havoc on your waistline, which is why these easy tips can help you cut back.
10. Healthy Habits for Life: 10 Tips for Better Nutrition
Whether it’s logging your food, focusing on small changes or leaning into protein, these 10 habits will help you lead a sustainable healthy lifestyle.
11. Why Travel Makes You Hungrier — And How to Combat It
If you can’t resist airport snacks or find yourself eating mindlessly on a road trip, you’re not alone. In fact, there could be a scientific explanation such as stress or dehydration.