Active time: 13 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
In fewer than 30 minutes, you can be sitting down to a saucy, homemade chicken pot pie. The trick is to cook the crust on a baking sheet in the oven while the filling comes together in a skillet on the stovetop; then simply slide the crust over the skillet and serve. Asparagus, baby carrots, fingerling potatoes, leeks and peas give this version of the homespun classic a seasonal feel.
Veggie-Loaded Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 (7.1-ounce/200-gram) refrigerated pie crust (half of a 14.1-ounce/399-gram box)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup (80g) leeks, chopped
- 1 cup (120g) baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (120gs) fingerling potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (165g) 2-inch-long pieces asparagus spears
- 2 cups (473ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces (227g) shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1/2 cup (69g) frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Preheat oven to 425°F (220ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unroll the pie crust dough; roll to a 10 1/2-inch circle and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned and crisp, 12–14 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a 10-inch, straight-sided skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add the leeks, carrots and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Add asparagus; sauté 2 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken stock, flour, salt and pepper. Pour stock mixture into skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, peas and chives; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top the skillet with baked pie crust and serve.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 349; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 41mg; Sodium: 442mg; Carbohydrate: 32g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 5g; Protein 20g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 515mg; Iron: 9%; Vitamin A: 284%; Vitamin C: 12%; Calcium: 24%