Active time: 35 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
This hearty salad uses Brussels sprouts in two ways: halved and roasted, plus raw and thinly shaved. Paired with colorful, crisp vegetables, cooling fresh herbs, creamy peanut butter and a punchy fish sauce dressing, this multi-dimensional dish is worthy as a main course or even as a Thanksgiving side. Once dressed, the sturdy vegetables hold their shape nicely, making this a perfect no-wilt salad for any buffet or leisurely dinner party.
RD tip: To cut the sodium content in this meal (and make it fully vegan), skip the fish sauce and just sprinkle a bit of salt on your salad as it’s served.
Thai Brussels Sprout Salad
- 2 pounds (907g) Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup (60ml) grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup (70g) shredded red cabbage, packed
- 3 scallions thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 Fresno pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (10g) cilantro, leaves and tender stems, packed
- 1/2 cup (10g) basil leaves, torn, preferably Thai basil, packed
- 1/2 cup (125g) creamy natural peanut butter, unsalted
- Salted roasted peanuts, chopped (optional garnish)
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional garnish)
Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Cut 3/4 of the Brussels sprouts in half and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Very thinly slice the remaining sprouts and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle the Brussels sprouts on the baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and deeply browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then add to the bowl with the shaved sprouts
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the fish sauce with lime juice, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
To the Brussels sprouts add the cabbage, scallion, carrot, chili pepper and herbs. Drizzle with the fish sauce dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter in 30 second increments until it’s smooth and spreadable. On a large plate or platter, spread the peanut butter in a thin layer. Pile the Brussels sprout salad on top and garnish with chopped peanuts. Serve right away.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: About 2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 455; Total Fat: 30g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 772mg; Carbohydrate: 35g; Dietary Fiber: 13g; Sugar: 9g; Protein 18g