Active time: 25 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
Tempeh adds nutty flavor and 9 grams of protein to this Thai-inspired takeout favorite. Be sure to read labels when buying fish sauce; some brands contain a lot more sodium than others; one of the lowest in sodium is Tiparos brand.
Tempeh Pad Thai With Broccoli and Corn
- 6 ounces (170g) dry brown rice pad Thai noodles
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate (such as Tamicon)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut or safflower oil
- 6 ounces (170g) tempeh, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups (200g) chopped cabbage
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (88g) fresh corn (shaved off 1 cob)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (5g) chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
Prepare the noodles according to package instructions, erring on the side of slightly underdone (the noodles will continue to cook when stir-fried). Drain, rinse with cool water and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons (30ml) hot water with the brown sugar, fish sauce, Sriracha and tamarind. Stir and set aside.
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large, nonstick sauté pan. Add the tempeh and stir-fry until browned in places, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, 20 seconds. Add the cabbage, bell pepper and corn and stir-fry until the cabbage is wilted and tender, 2 minutes.
Push the tempeh and vegetables to the side of the pan. Add the eggs and stir-fry until just cooked, 1 minute. Add the noodles and sauce mixture to the wok and stir-fry everything together until the noodles sear in places, 1–2 minutes. Add the green onions and toss to combine. Divide the noodles among 4 bowls and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 375; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 93mg; Sodium: 302mg; Carbohydrate: 50g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 17g