Turkey and bean chili is easy to make, especially if a slow cooker is involved. This easy recipe for chili features lean ground turkey slowly simmered with tangy tomatoes and fiber-filled beans. Set this to cook overnight for eight hours, and you can ladle a warm lunch to-go the next morning.
Slow Cooker Turkey & Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium (110 grams) onion, diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 ounces (10-15 chips each) baked tortilla chips
In a large nonstick skillet, add the oil, ground turkey and onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute longer.
Transfer to (4-quart) slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients: tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, dried oregano and cumin.
Cover and cook on low for eight hours or until heated through. Season with salt, to taste, and serve with optional toppings if desired.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups chili + 1 ounce baked tortilla chips
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 428; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 54mg; Sodium: 377mg; Carbohydrate: 46g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 25g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 800mg; Iron: 26%; Vitamin A: 32%; Vitamin C: 37%; Calcium: 6%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt to bump up calories and protein. (Per serving: Calories: 458; Fat: 12g; Carbohydrate: 58g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 31g)
- Slice in 1/4 medium avocado to bump up calories and healthy fats. (Per serving: Calories: 485; Fat: 33g; Carbohydrate: 60g; Dietary Fiber: 13g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 26g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis