Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
Don’t be intimidated by this recipe’s name! This classic Alsatian dish is a hearty meal of sausage, cabbage and potatoes — and it’s perfect for fall. This version takes the whole dish and makes it happen on a sheet pan for ease. Be sure to use a rimmed baking sheet to prevent the ingredients from sliding off.
Sheet Pan Sausage Choucroute Garnie
- 1/2 small head red cabbage (460g), cut through the core into eight 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 1 pound baby red potatoes (453g), halved if large
- 1 apple, such as Honeycrisp or Granny Smith (221g), halved, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 small yellow onion (125g), halved, peeled and cut through the root into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin or caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 precooked chicken-apple sausages (opt for low-calorie chicken sausage with about 120 calories per link)
Optional serving suggestions
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- Whole-grain mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Warmed sauerkraut
- Crusty bread
Preheat oven to 450°F (230ºC) and line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a large bowl, gently toss the cabbage with the potatoes, apple, onion, olive oil, vinegar, cumin and mustard seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a spatula to flip the apples and vegetables. Arrange the chicken sausages on top and bake for about 15 minutes more or until the sausages are browned and the cabbage is crisp-tender. Let cool 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped parsley and snipped chives and serve right on the sheet pan, passing assorted mustards, warmed sauerkraut and crusty bread at the table.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 sausages and 1 1/2 cups of vegetables
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 462; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 100mg; Sodium: 740mg; Carbohydrate: 52g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 15g; Protein 27g