This savory oatmeal will satisfy your taste buds and tummy thanks to chicken breast and boiled eggs. The zesty lemon juice adds a touch of acidity to flavor the dish without adding extra calories.
Oatmeal Chicken Caldo
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (25g) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon (10g) minced ginger
- 1/4 cup (30g) onions, chopped
- 1 cup (125g) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3–4 cups (750–1,000 mL) water
- 1 cup (45g) Quaker Quick Cook Oats
- Dash of fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) black pepper
- 4 boiled eggs, halved
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Juice of one lemon or calamansi
Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a small pan and add minced garlic once hot. Stir 2 tablespoons garlic occasionally to toast for about 7 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and let dry on a paper towel.
Heat remaining coconut oil in medium pot. Sauté ginger, onion, chicken breast and remaining garlic. Add 3–4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add oatmeal and cook to desired thickness. Season with fish sauce and ground pepper.
Sprinkle the oatmeal with toasted garlic and chopped spring onions. Serve hot with hardboiled egg halves and lemon or calamansi juice.
Serves: 4 | Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 281; Total Fat: 20.8g; Saturated Fat: 13.8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3.3g; Cholesterol: 200.2mg; Sodium: 153.3mg; Carbohydrate: 12.5g; Dietary Fiber: 1.4g; Sugar: 1.6g; Protein: 14g
*This nutritional information is based on U.S. criteria.