Portobello mushrooms and sweet potatoes make for a filling taco packed with flavor and fiber. These from Dietitian Debbie Dishes are perfect for Meatless Monday, and are a good source of potassium, magnesium, iron and an excellent source of Vitamin A.
To log this recipe, search the food database for: MyFitnessPal Marinated Mushroom Sweet Potato Tacos
Marinated Mushroom + Sweet Potato Tacos
- 8 ounces Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Coriander
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 3 medium Sweet Potatoes (approx. 2″ in diameter by 5″ long), peeled and chopped into 1/4″ chunks
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 8 Corn Tortillas (approx. 50 calories each; certified gluten-free if necessary)
- Optional toppings: plain Greek yogurt or Sour Cream, Cilantro, Avocado, Salsa and/or Hot Sauce
To marinate the mushrooms: Mix seasonings, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in a shallow baking dish. Add mushrooms, toss to coat evenly and let mushrooms marinate for 1-2 hours before cooking.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Drizzle sweet potatoes in cooking oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 45 minutes, until softened and lightly browned.
Heat a skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms and saute until marinade is cooked down to a thick sauce, about 10-12 minutes.
Stir in sweet potatoes and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Assemble tacos and top with sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce and/or salsa if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 tacos (2 corn tortillas each filled with 1/8 of veggie mixture; optional toppings not included) Per serving: Calories: 271; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 195mg; Total Carbohydrate: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 11g; Protein: 6g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 713mg; Vitamin A: 332%; Vitamin C: 29%; Calcium: 10%; Iron: 12%
Deborah Davis MS, RD is a Registered Dietitian who practices clinical dietetics in Chicago, Illinois. She shares practical nutrition tips and healthy recipes on her personal blog, Dietitian Debbie Dishes. In her free time, you’ll likely find Deborah in the kitchen, camera and spatula in hand, developing recipes for her blog and freelance pieces. Connect with Deborah on Twitter and Instagram. Photo courtesy of Deborah Davis. Original recipe published on Dietitian Debbie Dishes.