The butternut squash and beans in this recipe gives you almost half of your daily recommended potassium intake in one meal, in addition to being a good source of fiber. Getting enough potassium helps lower your risk of heart disease and protects your muscles and bones from wearing down.
Poblano chilies are a glossy dark green, with a grassy flavor and meaty texture that makes this chili especially complex. Look for them where other hot peppers are sold. Substitute with 2 light green Anaheim peppers if you can’t find poblanos.
Active time: 20 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
Instant Pot Butternut Squash and White Bean Chili
- 1 1/2 cups (280g) dry cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chili, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 3 cups (380g) butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups (592ml) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (75g) frozen corn
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
The night before cooking, soak the beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with 10 cups cold water; soak for 8–12 hours. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
To make the chili, put the oil in the Instant Pot, select sauté and adjust to more/high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and poblano chilies and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, and cook until fragrant, 45 seconds. Press cancel.
Add the beans, squash, broth, corn, salt and pepper to the pot. Lock the lid, turn valve to “sealing,” select the pressure cook function and adjust to high pressure; set timer for 20 minutes.
When cooking time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 cup/270g
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 265; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 332mg; Carbohydrate: 42g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 14g