For the final installment of the Holiday Recipe Remix series, Elle, our Registered Dietitian tackled one of our all-time favorite cheesy, creamy appetizers. Don’t be thrown off by the name, this twist on the ever-popular spinach artichoke dip will have you more than double-dipping those pita chips.
MyFitnessPal user Susan submitted a classic recipe, laden with cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise which translated into 10 grams of fat in just 1/4 cup. Mind you, that’s only about 4-5 pita chips-worth of dip! As part of our Holiday Recipe Remix Contest, Elle took Susan’s recipe and not only made it healthier but simpler, too.
This Spinach Goatichoke dip contains just 4 ingredients: artichokes, spinach, Greek yogurt, and goat cheese. Elle figured, “why make it complicated when four ingredients satisfies every one of those spinach-artichoke loving tastebuds?”
By substituting goat cheese and Greek yogurt for the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo, Elle was able to keep the tang and creaminess with a lot less fat and calories than the standard dip. It also has way more protein.
Per 1/4 cup serving, this Spinach Goatichoke Dip has:
- Nearly 40 fewer calories
- Half the fat
- 50% more protein – over 7 grams in a serving!
Here, Elle explains how she remixed this recipe:
The recipe is below–just be sure to log your double-dips in MyFitnessPal! To find this food, simply search Holiday Recipe Remix in the food database. There you’ll find the full nutrition info and be able add this delicious dip to your food diary.
Spinach Goatichoke Dip
Serves ~ 10-12
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces fresh, baby spinach
- 5 ounces Goat cheese, Chevre
- 3/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
1. In a large skillet, wilt spinach over medium-low heat, covered and stirring every few minutes. When wilted, remove from heat. Gently press excess water from leaves and set aside.
2. Blend up the artichoke hearts using a food processor, reserving one small heart for a garnish if you like. Add goat cheese, spinach and pulse until incorporated.
3. Combine everything into one bowl, add Greek yogurt and mix well. If you prefer to serve it warm, simply heat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until warm and melted, about 5 minutes. Serve with bagel or pita chips, crackers or baby carrots.
Note: This recipe can be prepared ahead of time if stored in the refrigerator. If serving cold, let it sit out for 20 minutes and give it a good stir before serving to allow it to soften.
If you missed any of the previous remixed recipes, check them out below!
That’s a wrap on this Holiday Recipe Remix, but stay tuned – we just might get into some remix action in the ’14.
The MyFitnessPal Team