Kale has long been touted as Mother Nature’s multivitamin—and for good reason! The leafy green is loaded with high levels of vitamins C and K, protein, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. And despite some wondering if kale’s 15 minutes of fame should be up, healthy eaters everywhere love the stuff, and the veggie continues to star in recipes and hold court in the produce aisle. In fact, National Kale Day wouldn’t exist without the hard efforts of several superfood fans. (Even celebrities are willing to share the spotlight with this green giant.)
Ready to raise your fork in celebration? Here are 5 tasty kale recipes to try today.
1. Refreshing Kale & Pear Smoothie Bursting with antioxidants, iron, and vitamin K, this smoothie is a great day-starter or snack!
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 222; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 64mg; Total Carbohydrate: 56g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugars: 24g; Protein: 6g
2. Garlic Lover’s Kale Salad Easy to toss together and loaded with vitamins A and C.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 100; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 524mg; Total Carbohydrates: 9g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 7g
3. Apple & Quinoa Kale Salad Equal parts sweet and earthy, this salad is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 589; Total Fat: 39g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 25g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 421mg; Carbohydrate: 53g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 19g; Protein: 11g
4. Stuffed Chicken & Sautéed Kale with Pine NutsThis protein-packed dinner gets an extra kick of vitamins from kale.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 369; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 185mg; Sodium: 333mg; Total Carbohydrate: 13g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars 2g; Protein: 42g
5. Easy Balsamic Glazed Salmon & Massaged Kale Salad Ready in minutes, pan-seared sweet and spicy salmon and a lemony kale salad are a perfect superfood duet.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 406; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 5 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g ; Cholesterol: 62 mg; Sodium: 623 mg; Total Carbohydrates: 37 g; Dietary Fiber: 5 g; Sugars: 9 g; Protein: 32g
All hail kale! Are you serving up this healthy green today? Share your thoughts in the comments below!