You don’t need cream for a lush, comforting creamy soup. Cauliflower and carrots puree to a thick, creamy texture — and a little nonfat milk gives it a dairy flavor that hints at cream. A swirl of herby pesto on top gives it Instagram-ready appeal.
Creamy Cauliflower and Carrot Soup
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup (160g) chopped onion
- 2 cups (200g) chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup (128g) chopped carrots
- 1 cup (240ml) no-salt chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) nonfat milk
For the pesto:
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pistachio kernels
- 1/4 cup (25g) fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon 0% Greek yogurt, plain
In a medium pot, drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place over medium-high heat and add the onions; stir until they start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower and carrots stirring until hot, then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 8 minutes. The vegetables will be very tender.
Transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender or food processor and add the milk. Puree until smooth. Pour back into the pan to keep warm.
For the pesto, place the parmesan, pistachios and basil in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely minced, scraping sides and repeating as needed. When smooth, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and process, scraping as needed to make a smooth paste. Add the yogurt and process to mix.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup soup with 2 tablespoons pesto
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 263; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 7mg; Sodium: 238mg; Carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 12g; Protein: 11g