This hearty main dish salad gets a kick from a zingy peanut dressing made with heart-healthy avocado oil and plenty of protein thanks to store-bought rotisserie chicken. Tangelos are an easy-to-peel hybrid of tangerines and grapefruit with juicy, tangy flesh. Substitute large oranges or tangerines if tangelos are unavailable.
Chicken and Tangelo Salad With Peanut Dressing
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup (28g) roasted, unsalted peanuts, divided
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 serrano chile pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) avocado oil
For the salad
- 1 cup (90g) broccoli florets, chopped
- 4 cups (128g) baby lettuce greens or chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups (300g) cabbage, finely shredded
- 12 ounces (340g) rotisserie chicken breast meat, roughly chopped
- 2 medium tangelos, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (5g) fresh basil leaves, chopped
For the dressing
In a blender, combine 1/4 cup (14g) of peanuts, lime juice, lime zest, vinegar, chile pepper, garlic and sugar and blend until combined. (Reserve remaining peanuts for garnish.) With the blender running and the lid slightly ajar, slowly add the oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
Place the broccoli in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Add water to cover and bring to a simmer or microwave on high until the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
In a large bowl, toss the broccoli and other salad ingredients with the dressing. Sprinkle with the remaining peanuts and serve.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 of salad + 3 tablespoons dressing
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 438; Total Fat: 29g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Sodium: 342mg; Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 30g