Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 18 minutes
These nutrient-dense treats are packed with dried apples, toasted nuts, oats and cinnamon. They’re a great balanced snack with fiber, protein, healthy fats and whole grains — and they taste like portable apple pies. They’re finished with coconut, but you could also dip them in melted white chocolate for an extra-indulgent treat.
Apple Pie Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup (45g) sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup (45g) walnuts
- 1/4 cup (22g) rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (62g) chopped dried apple slices, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup (106g) pitted Medjool dates
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (30g) unsweetened coconut, finely shredded
Preheat oven to 350°F (177ºC). Place the almonds, walnuts and oats on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 8 minutes. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool completely.
Place the apples and dates in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the toasted nuts and oats, vanilla, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped and forms clumps, about 30 pulses.
Roll the mixture into 14 balls, about 1 tablespoon each. Roll the balls in the coconut. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Servings: 14 | Serving Size: 1 energy bite
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 109; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 46mg; Carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 2g