Cooking for one can be a tricky proposition when you’re watching your portions and don’t want leftovers. These meals are tailored to those moments when you want an easy-to-make, healthy meal just for you. Requiring 8 ingredients or fewer, these 400-calorie (or less) meals easily spice up your weekday routine.
1. CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN TOSTADA
- 1 6-inch corn tortilla, baked
- 1/4 cup (42.5 g) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons (42.5 g) rotisserie chicken breast meat, shredded
- 1/4 cup (12.5 g) romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (65 g) tomato salsa
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
Top tortilla with black beans, chicken, romaine, salsa and cheese.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 tostada
Per serving: Calories: 233; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 23mg; Sodium: 494mg; Carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 22g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 412mg; Iron: 8%; Vitamin A: 33%; Vitamin C: 1%; Calcium: 15%
2. OPEN-FACED STEAK SANDWICH
- 1 ½ teaspoon (6 g) cooking oil
- 1/8 pound (60 g) skirt steak, trimmed
- 1/8 medium (14 g) yellow onion, sliced
- 1 slice (30 g) Italian bread
- 1 slice (30 g) sharp cheddar
- 1/4 medium (20 g) bell pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425°F and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Season steak with salt and pepper.
Preheat a small nonstick skillet, coated with cooking oil, over medium heat. When pan is hot, add the steak. Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side or until steak reaches desired doneness. Set aside until cool; slice thinly.
Sauté onions in the same pan, on medium-high heat, until golden brown. Set aside.
Add the bread to the baking sheet. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Layer the steak, onions and bell peppers onto bread and serve.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 open-faced sandwich
Per serving: Calories: 296; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Sodium: 432mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 20g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 305mg; Iron: 12%; Vitamin A: 6%; Vitamin C: 36%; Calcium: 18%
3. CRANBERRY TURKEY ROLL-UP
- 1 10-inch 100% whole-grain tortilla (about 190 calories)
- 2 tablespoons (35 g) canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 thin slices (85 g) deli turkey breast
- 1/2 medium (60 g) tomato, halved and sliced
- 3 small lettuce leaves, washed
- 1 slice (28 g) Swiss cheese, halved
Place tortilla on a large plate and microwave for 10–20 seconds.
Spread 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce in center of the tortilla. Layer turkey slices, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese on top leaving a 1–2 inch border.
Fold in the sides of the tortilla, then tightly roll toward the top. Slice and enjoy!
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 roll
Per serving: Calories: 392; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 50mg; Sodium: 235mg; Carbohydrate: 36g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 30g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 531mg; Iron: 18%; Vitamin A: 29%; Vitamin C: 46%; Calcium: 28%
4. LOW-CARB BLT WRAP
- 2 slices (20 g) center-cut bacon
- 1/4 medium (15 g) lemon
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 medium (90 g) Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 large (50 g) hard-boiled egg, peeled and sliced
- Dash of coarsely ground black pepper
Cook bacon to desired doneness. Set aside on paper towels to drain excess fat.
Grate 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest into a small bowl. Squeeze about 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice into the same bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and basil.
Spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on each lettuce leaf. Top with tomato, egg, and bacon. Sprinkle with pepper. Wrap leaves around filling and enjoy.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 2 lettuce wraps
Per serving: Calories: 280; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 207mg; Sodium: 464mg; Carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 121mg; Iron: 6%; Vitamin A: 11%; Vitamin C: 11%; Calcium: 3%
5. PUMPKIN PIE OATMEAL
- 1/2 cup (122 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (60 g) water
- 2/3 cup (50 g) quick oats
- 3 teaspoons (15 g) canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 ml) vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tablespoon (10.5 ml) honey
Combine milk and water in saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for 2–3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except for the honey, and stir until well combined. Allow the oatmeal to simmer for 2–3 minutes. Add honey and enjoy!
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 cup oatmeal (230 grams)
Per serving: Calories: 284; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Sodium: 231mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 17g; Protein: 13g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 267mg; Iron: 14%; Vitamin A: 40%; Vitamin C: 6%; Calcium: 21%
6. 3-INGREDIENT PANCAKES
- 1 large (120 g) ripe banana
- 2 large (50 g) eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cinnamon
Mash banana with a large spatula until smooth. Add eggs and cinnamon and whisk to incorporate.
Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-low heat and coat with cooking spray.
Use a 1/4-cup measure to portion out pancakes. Cook pancakes for about 1–2 minutes on both sides until bottom is golden brown. Garnish as desired and serve.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 2 pancakes
Per serving: Calories: 271; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 423mg; Sodium: 141mg; Carbohydrate: 33g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 17g; Protein: 14g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 627mg; Iron: 15%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 21%; Calcium: 8%
7. MANGO-PINEAPPLE YOGURT BOWL
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup (245 g) plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup (45 g) diced pineapple, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup (40 g) diced mango, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) toasted walnut pieces
In a non-stick pan, toast coconut flakes over medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Assemble yogurt bowl by layering plain low-fat yogurt, pineapple and mango chunks. Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes and walnut pieces.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 yogurt bowl
Per serving: Calories: 334; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 172mg; Carbohydrate: 38g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 32g; Protein: 16g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 802mg; Iron: 6%; Vitamin A: 8%; Vitamin C: 57%; Calcium: 48%
8. 1-MINUTE BERRY PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE
- 3 ounces (80 g) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) honey
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Per serving: Calories: 156; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Sodium: 57mg; Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 5g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 23mg; Iron: 10%; Vitamin A: 1%; Vitamin C: 41%; Calcium: 2%