You’ll relish this lunchworthy bruschetta featuring fresh tomatoes, creamy avocado and tangy balsamic over crispy baguette. This vegetarian friendly recipe is super satisfying because it’s chock-full of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats from the olive oil and avocado!
Tomato-Mozzarella Lunch Bruschetta
- 3/4 cup (190 grams) balsamic vinegar
- 1 baguette (250 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (300 grams) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium (200 grams) avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (6 grams) basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces (85 grams) small fresh mozzarella balls, sliced into quarters
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Meanwhile, prepare the balsamic reduction. Add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Allow the liquid to come up to a slight boil, then reduce to medium heat and allow liquid to simmer for about 25 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
NOTE: If the balsamic reduction is too tangy for your taste, you can stir in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
Slice the end pieces off the baguette. Slice the entire loaf into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick slices; this should yield about 15 slices. Place baguette slices onto prepared baking sheet. Brush bread using 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place into oven, and bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, avocado, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste.
To enjoy immediately: Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture, garnish with basil and mozzarella, then drizzle with balsamic reduction.
To pack for later: Separately store the bread, tomato mixture, mozzarella and balsamic reduction. Assemble and enjoy when ready.
Serves: 5 | Serving Size: 3 bruschettas + about 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 323; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 12mg; Sodium: 173mg; Carbohydrate: 39g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 10g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 355mg; Iron: 3%; Vitamin A: 56%; Vitamin C: 19%; Calcium: 14%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Serve with 1/2 cup chopped chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken meat for increased calories, fat and protein. (Per serving: Calories: 439; Fat: 18g; Carbohydrate: 39g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 32g)
- Serve with a side salad (1 cup of baby greens + 2 tablespoons vinaigrette) for more vitamins and minerals. (Per serving: Calories: 393; Total Fat: 20g; Carbohydrate: 46g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 11g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis