Traditional sweet potato casserole is loaded with added sugar and fat from marshmallows and butter. This riff on the classic side dish from Eating Bird Food is gluten-free and vegan and contains only 237 calories per serving (about half of the traditional version). Coconut milk and coconut oil are used in place of milk and butter.
- 8 cups (1.8 l) sweet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes)
- 1 cup (236.5 ml) canned coconut milk (light or regular)
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) flaxseed, ground
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) nutmeg, freshly grated or ground
For the topping
- 1/2 cup (118.2 ml) brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (118.2 ml) chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup (78.8 ml) gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup (78.8 ml) gluten-free oat flour or almond flour
- 3–4 tablespoons (45-60 ml) coconut oil, in solid form
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place the chunks in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 15–20 minutes. Once done, drain well and let cool.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F and coat a 9-by-13 or 9-by-9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine the pecans, oats, oat flour and brown sugar. Cut in coconut oil with a fork or knife until the mixture is sandy with pea-sized chunks of oil. Set aside.
Place sweet potatoes into a large bowl and mash them with fork before adding coconut milk, maple syrup, oil, flaxseed, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix until everything is combined.
Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle on the brown sugar and pecan mixture. Bake uncovered for 40–45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the sweet potatoes are bubbling.
Serves: 16 | Serving Size: 1/16 recipe
Per serving: Calories: 237; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 98mg; Carbohydrate: 35g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 3g