This easy-to-make Asian eggplant recipe from The Endless Meal is full of flavor. It can be made vegan, Paleo and gluten-free and it only takes 20 minutes. With less fat and fewer calories than most carry-outs, preparing it takes no longer than picking up a to-go order.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 3 long eggplant (about 2 pounds total), quartered and cut into 3-inch spears
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ginger, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground Sichuan pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce (or coco aminos for Paleo)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) garlic chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Chinkiang vinegar (can substitute rice vinegar or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon (15 ml) honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon (15 ml) cornstarch (or tapioca starch for Paleo)
- Chopped cilantro and toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Heat the grapeseed and sesame oils in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the eggplant, ginger, garlic and Sichuan pepper and stir together. Pour 3/4 cup of the stock over top and cover the pan. Let the eggplant braise for 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup stock with the soy sauce or coco aminos, garlic chili sauce, Chinkiang vinegar, honey and corn or tapioca starch.
Once the eggplant is soft, pour the mixture from the small bowl over the top of eggplant and mix well. Let the sauce cook and thicken for 1 minute.
Remove the eggplant from the heat, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 141; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Sodium: 488mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 11g; Sugar: 16g; Protein: 7g