Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
This creamy vegetarian pasta dish comes together in just 20 minutes and packs 22 grams of protein per serving thanks to lentil-based pasta. The sauce features spring vegetables and soft garlic-herb cheese, which melts into a luxurious sauce with minimal effort. Leftovers make great pasta salad for lunch the next day.
Red Lentil Pasta With Creamy Primavera Veggies
- 8 ounces (227g) Explore Cuisine red lentil penne
- 8 ounces (227g) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch (5cm) pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (70g) shiitake mushrooms, sliced, stems discarded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) dry white wine or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (113g) frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 1/2 cup (80g) frozen peas or edamame
- 4 ounces (113g) soft herb and garlic goat cheese
- 1 cup (14g) fresh basil leaves, chopped
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Add the asparagus to the pot in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water, set aside.
Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, mushrooms and salt and sauté until the vegetables are beginning to brown, 4 minutes. Add the wine and simmer, scraping the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until nearly evaporated, 2 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts and peas and cook until heated through, 1 minute.
Combine the pasta and asparagus with the mushroom mixture, cheese and basil. Add enough reserved pasta water to make a creamy sauce and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups/380g
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 417; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 13mg; Sodium: 714mg; Carbohydrate: 54g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 21g