Steaming vegetables brings out their vibrant colors and true flavors. The ginger-infused steaming water doubles as a poaching liquid for the chicken and a simple, five-ingredient peanut sauce ties everything together. If you can’t find chicken tenders, cut boneless skinless chicken breasts horizontally into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml), plus 1 tablespoon (15 ml), light coconut milk, well stirred
- 4 1/2 tablespoons (67.5 ml) all-natural peanut butter (such as Adams)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) turmeric
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon (3.75 ml) salt
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut at an angle into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 ounces (227 ml) bite-size broccoli florets (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces (227 ml) green beans, trimmed (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound (453 grams) boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
In a small saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, curry paste and turmeric and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cover and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine 3 1/2 cups of water, ginger slices and salt. Fit a metal steamer basket into the pan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the lid and place the carrots, broccoli and green beans in layers, in that order, in the steamer basket. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and steam the vegetables until crisp-tender, 6–8 minutes. Remove the steamer basket from the pan and transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl, cover loosely with foil and set aside.
Add the the chicken to the water in the saucepan, cover, and place over low heat. Simmer very gently (do not boil) until just cooked through, 6 minutes. Drain and discard ginger. Combine the chicken and vegetables and serve drizzled with the peanut sauce. Serve lime wedges.
Active time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 4 ounces chicken, 1 cup broccoli, 2/3 cup green beans, 1/2 cup carrots, 3 tablespoons peanut sauce
Nutrition (per serving size): Calories: 281; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 6.5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7.3g; Cholesterol: 55mg; Sodium: 396mg; Carbohydrate: 34.5g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 6.8g; Protein: 32g
Ivy is a cookbook author and food writer living in Portland, Oregon. Her latest book is Easy Soups from Scratch with Quick Breads to Match: 70 Recipes to Pair and Share.” Visit her at ivymanning.com.