This tofu scramble is a popular scrambled egg substitute — and is sure to become a meatless favorite even if you’re not vegan. With 20 grams of protein per serving, this breakfast from Eating Bird Food is seasoned with turmeric, cumin and nutritional yeast. Add your favorite vegetables and serve with sliced avocado for a nutrient-packed breakfast.
- 16 ounces (453 grams) firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) avocado or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (240 ml) red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) turmeric
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) shredded kale or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) nutritional yeast
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
Add oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion, cooking for about 3–4 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
Add mushrooms to the pan, then use your fingers to crumble the tofu into chunks before tossing it into the pan as well. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the tofu starts to stick or the pan becomes dry, add a little water to the pan.
Add the turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Then add the kale and nutritional yeast. Stir and cook for an additional 3–4 minutes. Taste and season with additional black pepper and sea salt, if needed. Serve the scramble warm with sliced avocado and fresh herbs.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 228; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 24mg; Carbohydrate: 10g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 20g