Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 10 minutes
Made from mostly pantry and fridge staples, this versatile salad is a great option for easy lunches. It has the satisfying richness of egg salad but is lightened up with smashed chickpeas. Dijon mustard and briny capers offer pops of savory flavor. If you don’t have capers, use chopped pickles. Enjoy on a bed of lettuce, as below, with crackers or as a sandwich.
Dijon Chickpea and Egg Salad
- 1 (15-ounce/425g) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons (86g) canola mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (16g) green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 lettuce leaves
In a large bowl, coarsely mash chickpeas with a fork. Add eggs and stir to combine. Stir in mayonnaise, green onions, capers, Dijon, salt and pepper. Serve over lettuce leaves.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 lettuce leaves and about 3/4 cup salad
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 248; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 186mg; Sodium: 537mg; Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 1g; Protein 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 236mg; Iron: 13%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 6%; Calcium: 8%