This riff on traditional chicken piccata from Kim’s Cravings swaps starchy pasta for high-fiber, low-carb zoodles. Ideal for a potluck dinner, your guests might be surprised to learn it has 30 grams of protein, 10 grams of fiber and less than 250 calories per serving.
- 5 medium zucchini, trimmed
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) flour (can substitute gluten-free flour, if needed)
- 1 pound chicken breast, thinly sliced (about 4)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) + 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or crushed with a garlic press
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine
- 1 1/2 (360 ml) cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cornstarch combined with 1 tablespoon water (optional to thicken sauce)
- 1 large lemon, sliced (leave about 1/4 of the lemon unsliced, for juice)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) jarred capers, drained
Using a spiral vegetable slicer or a vegetable peeler, spiralize or cut zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strips. If slicing, stop when you reach the seeds in the middle, which will make the noodles fall apart. Place the zucchini “noodles” in a colander and toss with salt. Let drain for 15–30 minutes, then gently squeeze to remove excess water.
Meanwhile, add 1/2 cup flour to a shallow bowl. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, then dredge the cutlets in flour, shaking off any excess as you go. Transfer to a plate.
In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
While the chicken is cooking, prep the rest of your ingredients: Dice shallots, mince or crush garlic, open white wine, rinse capers, chop parsley and slice lemons.
To make the pan sauce, reduce the heat to low. Add remaining teaspoon of oil to the pan. Saute shallots until soft, about 1 minute, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Continue to heat until the liquid is reduced by half.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. To thicken the sauce, add cornstarch slurry, whisking constantly.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, add lemon slices and stir in butter. Add the juice of 1/4 lemon and sprinkle with capers. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Taste the dish; season with extra lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh parsley.
Use the same pan to heat zucchini, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until it reaches desired texture. Serve chicken over zucchini noodles alongside a glass of chardonnay.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast covered with sauce and about 1 cup zucchini noodles
Per serving: Calories: 238; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Sodium: 430mg; Carbohydrate: 10g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 27g