Active time: 25 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
Juicy chicken, crisp-tender asparagus and buttery artichoke hearts come together with lemon and tender herbs in this quick, one-pan meal. Be sure to use plain, unmarinated artichoke hearts, they’re available in cans and where bagged frozen vegetables are sold in the supermarkets. Trim the tips of any tough leaves or sharp tips on the artichokes before adding to the pan.
RD tip: This dish is great for those trying to go low carb because it offers 5 grams of fiber — and meeting your fiber goal on a low-carb plan can be challenging.
Chicken, Asparagus and Artichoke Skillet
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless breasts, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large shallots, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup (118ml) chicken bone broth
- 1 (8-ounce/227g) bunch asparagus, bottom ends snapped off, cut into bite-size lengths
- 1 cup (170g) artichoke hearts (defrosted if frozen)
- 1/4 cup (2.5 g) fresh dill, basil or parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
Toss the chicken with the flour, salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add half the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to brown but not cooked through, 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding oil if necessary.
Return the pan to medium-high heat and add the remaining oil. Add the shallots and asparagus and cook until bright green and still crisp, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and artichoke hearts and cook until the garlic is fragrant, 2 minutes more.
Return the chicken to the pan and add the bone broth mixture. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the chicken is cooked through, 2 minutes more. Stir in the fresh herbs, lemon juice and zest; serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 383; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 124mg; Sodium: 560mg; Carbohydrate: 17g;, Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 46g