Make quick and tasty cashew beef with broccoli stir-fry for dinner courtesy of the Fiber Up Slim Down cookbook. Trimmed beef top round and crisp broccoli is cooked in a savory soy sauce base. Serve over brown rice or another whole grain of your choice.
Cashew Beef with Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces trimmed boneless beef top round, cut across the grain into thin slices, slices cut into 1″ bite-size pieces
- 2 whole stalks broccoli, cut into small florets, stems halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise (about 5 cups)
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1″ piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, and red-pepper flakes. Add the beef and toss to mix. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, place a steamer basket in a large pot with 2″ of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Place the broccoli in the basket, cover, and steam for 6 to 8 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove the broccoli from the steamer and rinse briefly under cold running water. Set aside.
Drain the beef, reserving the marinade.
Mix the broth and cornstarch in a cup. In a large, deep nonstick skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic and ginger and stirfry for 30 seconds, just until fragrant; do not brown. Add half the drained beef strips and stir-fry about 2 minutes, or just until no longer pink; transfer to a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining beef strips.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the bell pepper and stir-fry until just crisptender, about 2 minutes. Return the beef and any juices, the reserved marinade, and the steamed broccoli to the skillet. Toss to mix. Stir-fry about 2 minutes, or until heated through. Stir the cornstarch mixture again; add to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the cashews. Serve over the rice.
Serve: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 of dish (rice not included in nutrition info)
Per serving: Calories: 291; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 54mg; Sodium: 515mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 23g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 276mg; Iron: 15%; Vitamin A: 8%; Vitamin C: 145%; Calcium: 4%