Chickpeas form the base of these vegan burgers, which have a firm, meaty texture. Made with fresh garlic and roasted broccoli, this meatless meal from from Hummusapien is packed with 16 grams of fiber. Tip: The spicy “mayo” is versatile enough to be used as a dipping sauce for crudités, too.
For the burgers
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 15-ounce (425 grams) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) whole-wheat breadcrumbs
For the spicy cashew mayo
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) hot sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (37.5 ml) water
For the burgers
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place broccoli on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Coat with olive oil spray or drizzle with a bit of oil. Bake for 15 minutes and set aside to cool.
Heat a large skillet coated with oil spray over medium heat.
Place cooled broccoli florets, chickpeas, flax, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, Dijon, garlic, salt and pepper in a large food processor. Process until well-combined.
Stir in breadcrumbs by hand and form into four tightly packed patties.
Cook for six minutes per side (12 minutes total). Serve on whole-grain buns with spicy cashew mayo and extra hot sauce.
For the cashew mayo
Place cashews in a bowl of water. Soak for 4 hours or up to overnight. If you’re in a hurry, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 30 minutes.
Drain cashews and add to food processor along with hot sauce and water. Process for a couple minutes, scraping down the sides, until completely smooth and creamy.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 patty and 1/4 mayo recipe
Per serving: Calories: 478; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 161mg; Carbohydrate: 73g; Dietary Fiber: 19g; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 23g