Let’s face it: life is pretty darn busy. Between work and family obligations, and all of the healthy activities you plan for yourself, quality time spent with your besties can often be put on the backburner. That’s part of the reason why I love being a wedding planner—I get to see friends make time for each other with bridal showers, bachelorette parties, and other special events. When I hear about how a celebration for the bride quickly turned into a mini-reunion for girlfriends and female wedding guests to meet or reconnect that everyone enjoyed, my heart soars.
The perfect bachelorette party or girls getaway is a super fun, memorable step outside the norm. Of course the bride should feel taken care of, but every guest should feel like they’re involved in something special. Whether you’re planning a girls’ weekend away to celebrate an upcoming wedding, or you simply want to spend a little more QT with your girlfriends, your trip should always make room for fitness! Here are a few action-packed ideas to get your planning started.
1. Wine tasting with a spin! Beautiful accommodations are plentiful in wine regions, and vineyards tend to be nestled near cute downtowns, small hotels, and great restaurants. There’s no better way to take in the sights and burn off the calories you sip than on a bike. You can easily pedal from winery to winery in Napa, CA and Piedmont, VA.
2. Get your dance on Don’t hire a stripper for the bachelorette party—be one! Shed your inhibitions, learn some sexy new moves, and get ready to sweat! You can book a private, small group workout at studios in most big cities, like Foxy Fitness in New York City and Stripper 101 in Las Vegas, NV. (Warning: These classes will definitely get the party started!)
3. Hang ten Get on board for some action (not that kind of action!) in Hawaii by learning how to surf at a school operated by Honolulu’s finest fire fighters! Or try stand up paddleboarding on a shore closer to home—it’s surprisingly easy to catch on!
4. Hit the slopes Take a half-day snowboarding class together in Aspen, CO, and then head for the hills! A 3-hour private lesson on the slopes runs about $100 per person at Snow Mass.
5. Enjoy the great outdoors Punch up your travel itinerary with fun, outside-your-comfort-zone activities. Try “glamping” in Jackson Hole, WY, where luxe-to-the-max tents come with a butler, and activities range from heart-racing mountain biking and white water rafting, to relaxing fly fishing and hiking.
An active bachelorette party or girlfriend getaway weekend doesn’t have to be a run-of-the-mill spa retreat. Sprinkle in a little adventure, a dash of exercise, and some healthy dining and you’ll create a memorable trip that will be talked about for years to come.
OK, who’s planning a girls weekend now? Share in the comments!