In the kitchen, one can be the loneliest number. The fear of leftover fatigue or doing the math to modify recipes for a single serving (why do so many recipes make so much at once?) can drive anyone to order out or eat a sad bowl of cereal rather than cooking. After all, spending time making a dish that requires pans and utensils isn’t worth it when you’re dining alone, right?
We call BS. Not only can cooking for yourself provide some much-needed alone time, but a healthy, home-cooked dinner (or breakfast, or lunch) can help you feel accomplished and energized for whatever life throws your way. The best part is that cooking for one is a lot quicker than cooking for a crowd.
We’ve gathered some of the healthiest, tastiest meals for one (or for one meal and just enough left over for lunch the next day!) from around the web to inspire you to get in the kitchen (Yes, even if you don’t think you can cook). Treat yo’ self with these easy, yummy meals—you’ll be happy you don’t have to share.
1. Greens and Ham Breakfast Bowl This protein-packed breakfast bowl provides plenty of healthy nutrients in the form of fresh cooked Swiss chard. The bed of greens works as a base for ham, onions, eggs, and avocado—and a generous helping of hot sauce. Though it’s touted as a morning meal, this hearty bowl will keep you full anytime of the day.
2. Chili Cheese Omelets Who says omelets need to be complicated? This filling, classic egg-and-cheese version gets added flavor from the addition of fresh coriander and spring onions. Don’t have coriander? Try subbing fresh basil instead.
3. Peach Crisp Smoothie Peaches are an underrated fruit when it comes to smoothies—berries seem to get all the love. But that’s about to change with this recipe. A frozen peach (use fresh if you’ve got ‘em!) gets blended with heart-healthy walnuts, oats, and banana for a frozen breakfast with a ton of staying power.
4. Fried Egg Sandwich This simple, effortless recipe relies on fried eggs—every budget lover’s dream—while chipotle mayonnaise (as much or as little as you want) gives it a spicy kick. Experiment with your favorite add-ins—lettuce and tomatoes would complement this well.
5. BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad Makes lunch for today and tomorrow. The original cobb salad gets a healthier makeover with this barbecue chicken version that’s loaded with black beans, corn, and a whole bunch of tasty veggies. A homemade buttermilk ranch dressing (which takes no time at all to whip up) pushes this salad to a new, delicious dimension. Just go easy on the dressing if you’re counting calories.
6. Avocado Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing Makes lunch for today and (maybe) tomorrow. This is the perfect salad for when you’re in the mood for something light and sweet, but still filling. Antioxidant-rich strawberries, gorgonzola, and healthy-fat-filled avocado are tossed with superfood spinach and a super-simple homemade dressing starring poppyseeds gets drizzled on. Deliciousness ensues.
7. Homemade Single-Serve Microwave Macaroni and Cheese in a Mug You’ll never eye the blue box again. This creamy mac and cheese gets made entirely in the microwave for those nights when you need comfort food, stat. If you have macaroni, shredded cheese, and milk at home, you’re ready to make this. Whole wheat macaroni adds a healthier twist; toss in less cheese (or opt for vegan options) if you’re watching your dairy intake.
8. Fresh Burrito Bowl If eating at Chipotle is burning a hole in your wallet, it’s time to try your hand at making burrito bowls at home. By combining precooked chicken with a handful of fresh, unprocessed ingredients, a healthy, delicious Mexican-inspired meal is just 10 minutes away—and a whole lot cheaper.
9. Lamb Burger with Chunky Mint Tzatziki Makes dinner tonight and lunch for tomorrow This dish is essentially a heaping bowl of the wonderful staples in Mediterranean cooking, including sundried tomatoes, olives, and artichoke hearts. All those flavors are tossed in olive oil, white wine, and garlic, then combined with your favorite (whole-wheat) pasta for a dinner that’s as easy as it is delicious. The leftovers are just as good, too!
10. 1-Minute Coffee Cake in a Mug With a name like that, you can’t go wrong. This low-calorie treat made with spelt flour, applesauce, and vanilla extract gets cooked in the microwave and topped with a mouthwatering streusel. The result is a low-calorie cake that will satisfy your sweet tooth when a late-night snack craving strikes.
Want more? Click over to Greatist for the full list of 29 Insanely Easy, Healthy Meals You Can Make In Minutes!