We’re spicing up a classic with this Summertime Caprese Salad from Eating Bird Food. This recipe is perfect for a light lunch or as a side salad for your dinner main. Dig in! Tomatoes deliver lots nutrients and inflammation-reducing antioxidants, including lycopene and folic acid.
Summertime Caprese Salad
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
- 1 pound (450g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil (about 20-30 leaves)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and julienned
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, mix together parsley, basil, oregano, capers, garlic, and olive oil.
On serving platter, arrange mozzarella cheese slices and tomato slices in alternating layers. Add a basil leaf between each later. Top with roasted red peppers. Drizzle with the herb and olive oil mixture.
Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve.
Serves: 16 | Serving Size: 1 ounce cheese + 2 slices tomato + toppings
Per serving: Calories: 124; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 18mg; Sodium: 236mg; Total Carbohydrate: 2g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 7g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 29mg; Vitamin A: 6%; Vitamin C: 15%; Calcium: 22%; Iron: 3%