Whatever your feelings are regarding the treadmill, there are many benefits and great workout options for this calorie-torching piece of equipment. This treadmill training plan takes advantage of these benefits.
Here are six good reasons to spend at least some of your cardiovascular workouts on the treadmill:
- Reduced impact on joints compared to pounding the pavement.
- Constant feedback for speed, incline, distance and heart rate.
- The ability to quickly manipulate your speed and incline.
- Predictable surface. No worries about potholes or black ice!
- The “biggest bang for your buck” in terms of cardiovascular machine calorie burn.
- You don’t have to run. Walking is a fantastic workout option on the treadmill.
Here is how to navigate the Level 1-10 Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale:
This specific 4-week treadmill training plan accommodates all levels, from walkers to the high-level endurance athlete by using your rating of perceived exertion rather than speed. In other words, if you don’t run, you don’t have to. You can get a very challenging workout simply by manipulating the incline and walking fast.
Spend 5 minutes warming up by walking on the treadmill at a zero incline before beginning your “challenge” interval each day. Listen to your body and adjust your speed accordingly.
Originally published February 2019, updated January 2023
Ready to take the next step? Unlock MyFitnessPal Premium to access custom goal settings, quick-log recipes, and guided plans from a registered dietitian. Premium users are 65% more likely to reach their weight loss goals!