Winter is almost over! Whether you greet the change with a “hooray” or a “humbug” depends on how you spent the last three months. Did you sprint from your car to the gym — or were you out there slogging through feet of snow? However you handled the cold, wear your winter workout personality with pride. Now you’re that much closer to your year-round fitness goals.
6 TYPES OF WINTER ATHLETES
Cold? What cold? You’re the one making the rest of us look like wimps by braving the worst winter weather — with a smile. Maybe you’re training for a spring triathlon, or maybe you’re just allergic to the dreadmill, but one thing’s for sure: It’ll take a lot more than a blizzard to break your stride.
3 SIGNS THAT YOU MAY BE A POLAR BEAR
- You have real, honest-to-goodness icicles in your eyebrows.
- Two words: Freezing. Sweat.
- You rock more reflective gear than a construction worker.
PERFECT GEAR FOR THE PERSONALITY: Reflective Collection
Human beings invented central heat for a reason. Why should you torture yourself in 50 mph arctic winds? You’ll hit the pavement when there are leaves on the trees. Until then, you’re perfectly content working up a sweat indoors, thank you very much.
3 SIGNS THAT YOU MAY BE AN INSIDER
- You wear shorts under your ankle-length down coat.
- You die a little inside when someone takes “your” treadmill.
- It has never even occurred to you to get one of those headlights for running in the dark.
PERFECT GEAR FOR THE PERSONALITY: UA HeatGear® Armour
You’ve never seen a snow-covered slope you didn’t like, and you live for the adrenaline rush that comes from making it to the bottom alive. When you celebrate a “perfect run,” you’re not talking about your latest 5K. No, your winter fitness routine revolves around getting to the lifts as early and often as possible, followed by a soak in the hot tub … ahhhh.
3 SIGNS YOU MAY BE A POWDER HOUND
- You have multiple apps for checking the weather on your favorite mountains.
- The lift operators know you by name.
- You have a tendency to mysteriously get “sick” every time a big storm hits.
PERFECT GEAR FOR THE PERSONALITY: PrimaLoft® Collection
Ah, the peaceful solitude of the snowy wilderness. You appreciate nature in all its forms, and three (or four or five) months of cold can’t change that. You’re at your happiest off the beaten path, with no cars or gadgets to distract you from your surroundings. So strap on those snowshoes, cross-country skis or crampons — and enjoy the sound of silence.
3 SIGNS YOU MAY BE A NATURAL
- Why, yes, you do own a compass.
- You have actually seen a moose.
- A fallen tree covered in snow seems like a perfectly reasonable place to take a lunch break.
PERFECT GEAR FOR THE PERSONALITY: UA ColdGear® Infrared
This winter, you went after it — for real! Your workout history may have some gaps in it, but you know it’s never too late to turn over a new leaf. That’s why you’ve been showing up and digging in since January 2. Now you can’t wait until spring to peel off the layers. Sun’s out, guns out!
3 SIGNS YOU MAY BE A RESOLVER
- Your gym membership card still has that new-lamination smell.
- You’ve got your “before” picture all picked out and ready to go.
- Your mantra is “progress, not perfection.”
PERFECT GEAR FOR THE PERSONALITY: Charged Wool Collection
You do what it takes to stay active in the winter — and sometimes that means getting creative. Sure, you’ll bundle up for a run in February, but you’re not above staying inside when temperatures drop from chilly to “are-you-kidding-me?” cold. And you’ve got plenty of tricks for getting some exercise no matter what Mother Nature throws at you. (See: jumping jacks in your kitchen.)
3 SIGNS YOU MAY BE AN IMPROVISOR
- You have hand weights stashed in your closet, a yoga mat in the corner and a drawer full of resistance bands.
- You know more body-weight exercises than most personal trainers.
- A meeting on the fourth floor is just another excuse to get some steps in.
PERFECT GEAR FOR THE PERSONALITY: UA AllSeasonGear®