This bowl combines hearty farro with over easy eggs and a rainbow of vegetables for a nutritious and filling meal. Get creative and use whatever veggies you have on hand, or soft boil the eggs for a slightly different take on this classic veggie bowl.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) carrots, shredded
- 1 cup (240 ml) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (240 ml) Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup (240 ml) purple cabbage
- 1 cup (240 ml) farro
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- 2 Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sriracha sauce (or other kind of chili sauce)
- Hemp seeds, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss mushrooms and Brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic powder and sea salt. Spread veggies on a baking sheet and roast for 20–25 minutes.
While veggies are roasting, make farro. In a medium saucepan, bring farro, a pinch of sea salt and broth to a simmer. Simmer on low until farro is tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes.
Just before serving, fry two eggs over easy in small sauté pan.
To serve, divide the cooked farro, roasted Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, avocado, carrots and purple cabbage between the bowls. Top each bowl with one fried egg. Sprinkle with hemp seeds, and serve with drizzle of Sriracha or chili sauce.
Serves: 2 | Serving size: 1 veggie bowl
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 298; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 446mg; Carbohydrate: 58mg; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 15g