Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
These muffins include grated carrots, rolled oats and oat milk, which adds heart-healthy soluble fiber and protein to help keep hunger at bay until lunchtime. Coconut sugar adds a caramel flavor that pairs beautifully with pecans and orange zest. The muffins keep well for up to a week in the refrigerator, so bake them on Sunday and you’ll be set with grab-and-go breakfasts, post-workout snacks or even dessert throughout the week.
Vegan Orange Pecan Muffins
- 1 1/3 cups (315ml) unsweetened oat milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 cups (155g) carrots, grated (from about 3 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cup (108g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (118ml) mild-flavored olive oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup (72g) rolled oats, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (57 g) pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (37g) raisins
Preheat oven to 375°F (190ºC). Coat a 12-well muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with paper cupcake liners, if desired. In a medium bowl, whisk the oat milk and flaxseeds together and set aside for 5 minutes.
Add the carrots, coconut sugar, olive oil, orange zest and vanilla to the oat milk mixture and whisk to combine.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (60g) of the oats, baking powder, pumpkin spice and salt. Add the oat milk mixture and stir until just combined, a few remaining traces of flour are OK. Add the raisins and pecans and stir gently until just combined.
Divide the batter among the muffin liners; they will be full. Sprinkle with the remaining oats. Bake until golden brown and the tops spring back when touched, 15–18 minutes. Transfer muffins from the muffin tin to a cooling rack. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to six days.
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 muffin
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 275; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 195mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 20g; Protein: 5g