Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
Saucy, well spiced and blanketed with cheese — this easy casserole is guaranteed to be a hit. Riced cauliflower augments ground turkey here, adding bulk and fiber for very few calories, not to mention upping the veggies in each serving. Even though ground turkey breast is very lean, it stays juicy and moist because it’s coated with tomato sauce.
Turkey and Black Bean Taco Casserole
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound (454g) ground turkey breast
- 1 cup (70g) green onions, chopped and divided
- 2 cups (194g) riced cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup (237ml) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (144g) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup (113g) colby jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup (165g) grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Preheat oven to 425°F (220ºC).
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add turkey and 1/2 cup green onions; cook until turkey is mostly done, stirring to crumble, about 4 minutes. Stir in riced cauliflower, cumin, chili powder, garlic and smoked paprika; cook until cauliflower is tender, 3–4 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and salt, cooking until thickened, 1–2 minutes.
Spoon turkey mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with black beans and corn. Sprinkle cheese over the casserole. Bake until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly around the edges, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 cup green onions, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. Spoon the tomato mixture over casserole just before serving.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: About 1 1/4 cups casserole and 3 tablespoons topping
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 298; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 67mg; Sodium: 472mg; Carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 5g; Protein 29g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 549mg; Iron: 17%; Vitamin A: 11%; Vitamin C: 7%; Calcium: 20%