Serve these low-carb meatballs as an appetizer at your next party or as a meal with brown jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. If you don’t love spicy food, remove the seeds from the jalapeño peppers before adding them to the dipping sauce.
Thai Turkey Meatballs with Spicy Cilantro Dip
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) cilantro leaves (about 1/2 bunch)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) coconut milk, well-stirred
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped jalapeño pepper
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fish sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 1 pound (454 grams) ground turkey
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) almond flour or finely ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) safflower oil
To prepare the dipping sauce, combine the coconut milk, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice (reserve the zest for the meat mixture) and the salt in a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the lime zest, egg white, fish sauce, curry paste and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Add the turkey and almond flour and blend thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Form the mixture into 24 meatballs using about 1 tablespoon meat mixture for each.
Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs in a single layer and cook, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center, 8–10 minutes. Serve meatballs with the sauce for dipping.
Serves: 4 as an entree or 8 as an appetizer | Serving size: 3 meatballs, 1 tablespoon dip as an appetizer or 6 meatballs, 2 tablespoons dip as an entree
Appetizer serving: Calories: 140; Total fat: 9.3g; Saturated Fat: 2.6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2.1g; Cholesterol: 44.8mg; Sodium: 338mg; Carbohydrate: 1.5g; Dietary Fiber: 0.05g; Sugar: .15g; Protein: 11.8g
Entree serving: Calories: 280; Total fat: 18.7g; Saturated Fat: 5.1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4.1g; Cholesterol: 89.6mg; Sodium: 677mg; Carbohydrate: 3g; Dietary Fiber: 0.1g; Sugar: .3g; Protein: 23.5g