Active time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
It’s easy to eat the rainbow with this colorful, hearty, composed salad. The dressing, a zesty riff on homemade French dressing, gets a little spice from salt-free chili powder and honey. Feel free to use a hot chili blend if you’d like to turn up the heat.
Sweet Spicy Chicken Cobb Salad
- 2 small (6-ounce, 170g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons salt-free chili powder, divided
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 9 cups (720g) romaine lettuce, chopped and lightly packed
- 1 slice thick-cut bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 medium avocado, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup (60g) canned, low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (150g) frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 cup (150g) chopped tomatoes
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Drizzle the chicken with 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle all over with 2 teaspoons of chili powder and the salt. Grill, flipping occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F (74°C), about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Chop into bite-size pieces.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 teaspoon of chili powder, vinegar, ketchup and honey until smooth. Gradually whisk in the remaining oil.
Divide the lettuce among 4 plates. Arrange the chicken in a line over the lettuce. Arrange the bacon, avocado, beans, corn and tomatoes in parallel lines over the lettuce. Drizzle with the dressing.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 salad plus 2 1/2 tablespoons of dressing
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 452; Total Fat: 22.2g; Saturated Fat: 1.8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5.5g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 8.8g; Cholesterol: 48.7mg; Sodium: 707mg; Carbohydrate: 31g; Fiber: 5.8g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 26.4g