Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
These gluten-free cupcakes are packed with grated carrots and golden beets to add nutrients, sweetness and moistness. We’ve swapped maple syrup for refined sugar and heart-healthy olive oil for butter to make these treats better for you. Be sure to use a mild-flavored olive oil; save your best extra-virgin oil for salads.
Spiced Carrot and Beet Cupcakes
- 1 cup (148g) gluten-free flour blend (Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seed hearts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (118ml) maple syrup
- 7 tablespoons (103ml) olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (85g) carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup (100g) golden beets, grated
- 1/4 cup (28g) toasted walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, hemp seed hearts, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, oil, eggs, orange zest and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir with a rubber spatula until most of the flour is absorbed. Fold in the grated carrots, beets and nuts; do not overmix.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake tin and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in the baking tin for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 185; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 43mg; Carbohydrate: 22g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 2g