Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
To make this family favorite in a flash, substitute packaged gnocchi for from-scratch dumplings as their pillowy, chewy-soft texture works perfectly in the slightly thickened broth. Rotisserie chicken is another time-saver. If you have some vegetables, like asparagus, zucchini or mushrooms on hand, feel free to toss them in, too.
Speedy Chicken & Dumplings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (114g) onion, chopped
- 1 cup (114g) carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (125g) celery, chopped
- 5 cups (1.2L) unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (125g) frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 16-ounce (453g) package potato gnocchi
- 8 ounces (227g) shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add onion, carrots, and celery; sauté until vegetables start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup water and flour. Stir flour mixture into soup; cooking until slightly thickened, 1–2 minutes.
Stir in peas, gnocchi and chicken. Cook until gnocchi are tender, they usually float to the surface when they’re done, about 3 minutes.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: About 1 1/4 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 196; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 24mg; Sodium: 342mg; Carbohydrate: 27g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 4g; Protein 14g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 391mg; Iron: 5%; Vitamin A: 132%; Vitamin C: 17%; Calcium: 13%