Make this Southwestern chicken salad by combining chicken breast, beans and corn. Drizzle with a skinny salad dressing made from Greek yogurt, salsa, lime and chili powder so you get plenty of creaminess without feeling weighed down. Make this dish ahead of time and serve chilled over a bed of fresh salad greens. It’ll surely hit the lunch spot!
Southwestern Chicken Salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds (24 ounces or 680 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (65 grams) salsa
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes, squeezed)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce or 425 grams) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (140 grams) corn kernels
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly rub the parchment paper with oil to prevent chicken from sticking.
Pat the chicken breast dry, rub with oil, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Then, place the chicken breast in the baking dish. Cover the dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil, and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check that chicken is completely opaque all the way through. Set aside and wait for chicken to cool.
While chicken is cooling, make the salad dressing by combining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plain Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, salsa and chili powder in a bowl. Stir with a spoon until all ingredients are combined.
When chicken breast is cool enough to handle, slice the chicken into cubes about 1/4- to 1/2-inch in size.
To make the salad, combine black beans, corn kernels and cubed chicken. Drizzle salad dressing on top of salad and mix together until well combined. Garnish with lime wedges if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Per serving: Calories: 446; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 84mg; Sodium: 808mg; Carbohydrate: 38g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 38g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 797mg; Iron: 19%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 11%; Calcium: 9%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Serve with a slice of 100% whole grain bread (about 110 calories each) to increase calories and fiber. (Per serving: Calories: 556; Fat: 19g; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 13g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 43g)
- Serve with 1 ounce (about 10-15 chips) of baked tortilla chips to increase calories and crunch. (Per serving: Calories: 566; Fat: 19g; Carbohydrate: 61g; Dietary Fiber: 11g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 40g)
- Serve with a side of green salad (about 1 cup of lettuce each) to increase fiber. (Per serving: Calories: 456; Fat: 17g; Carbohydrate: 40g; Dietary Fiber: 11g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 39g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis