Start your morning right with these southwestern breakfast bowls by Hummusapien. The bowls are flavorful and satisfying, with protein-rich black beans and tasty potato puffs. They’re also gluten-free and so good you won’t need to go out to a restaurant for brunch.
Southwestern Breakfast Bowls
For the bowls
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package Dr. Praeger’s Four Potato Puffs
- 2 eggs
- Salsa, cilantro, sliced jalapeño and tortilla chips for topping (optional)
For the aioli
- 1/4 cup (58g) mayo (I used a vegan mayo)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
Cook Four Potato Puffs in the oven according to package directions.
Heat a small pot over medium heat. Add black beans. Stir in spices and heat until warmed through.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add peppers and onions. Saute for about 8 minutes or until browned.
While the veggies cook, make aioli by stirring together mayo, Sriracha, Dijon and honey in small bowl.
Set veggies aside and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Add a splash more oil and cook eggs to your liking.
Assemble bowls by layering black beans, peppers and onions, potato puffs and eggs. Drizzle with aioli and garnish with cilantro, salsa, jalapeño and tortilla chips if desired.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 bowl
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 416; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 196mg; Sodium: 1,456mg; Carbohydrate: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 20g