Lentils are the not-so-secret ingredient behind this vegetarian recipe from Ambitious Kitchen. With only 10 minutes of prep time, you’ll add the ingredients to your slow cooker and come home to a satisfying weeknight dinner full of fiber and protein.
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) uncooked green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce (435 grams) can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce (435 grams) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water, plus more if necessary
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) organic ketchup
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 spaghetti squash, washed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients except spaghetti squash. Stir.
Cut the washed spaghetti squash in half around the middle and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side down in the slow cooker right on top of the lentils. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until squash is tender and lentils are cooked completely. If the lentils seem dry, stir in additional water until it reaches a nice, thick consistency.
Remove spaghetti squash and shred inside with a fork. Divide among bowls and add lentil sloppy joe topping. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Per serving: Calories: 184; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 309mg; Carbohydrate: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 15g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 15g