Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 7–8 hours
Seared beef brisket slow cooks until meltingly tender, along with hearty vegetables that hold their shape and texture over the long cook time. The key is in how you prep the vegetables: Vertically sliced onion maintains textural integrity (round slices would basically disintegrate), whole baby potatoes stay intact, and large pieces of turnip and carrot hold up beautifully.
Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Brisket
- 1 large (14 ounces/390g) sweet onion
- 3 large celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds (907g) lean, flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup (118ml) unsalted beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) canned tomato puree
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (59ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds (680g) baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 pound (454g) turnips, peeled and cut into large wedges
- 4 large carrots (about 68g each), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
Cut onion in half vertically (from root to stem end); cut each half vertically into thick slices. Arrange onion and celery in the bottom of a slow cooker.
In a small bowl, combine 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin and garlic powder. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of brisket.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brisket to pan; cook until well browned, 4–5 minutes per side. Place brisket on top of onion and celery in slow cooker. Add beef stock to skillet, scraping pan with a spoon to loosen browned bits. Pour broth over brisket.
In a medium bowl, combine tomato puree, sugar, vinegar and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Pour mixture over brisket. Add potatoes, turnip wedges and carrot pieces to slow cooker.
Cover and slow-cook on low until brisket and vegetables are tender, 7–8 hours.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 3 ounces brisket and about 1 1/4 cups vegetables
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 284; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 105mg; Sodium: 476mg; Carbohydrate: 37g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 23g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1,159mg; Iron: 37%; Vitamin A: 132%; Vitamin C: 77%; Calcium: 13%