Savor a home-cooked and vegetarian-friendly meal with your loved ones! Our slow-cooker sweet potato curry is high in flavor, but low in calories, fat and sodium. The yogurt adds a bit of protein and tanginess that will also cool the heat if you’re using a spicy curry powder.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 medium (110 grams) onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium (120 grams) red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 large (1 1/2 pounds or 680 grams) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups (350 grams) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon mild or hot curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (5 grams) fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 cups (560 grams) hot cooked jasmine or basmati rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 basil leaves or sprigs (optional)
Combine onion, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, garlic, and ginger in a 4-quart slow cooker.
Combine broth, curry powder, and salt; stir into slow cooker mixture. Cover, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Stir in basil, zest, and lime juice.
Serve 1 1/4 curry over 3/4 cup hot cooked rice. Dollop each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt and garnish with basil.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups curry with 3/4 cup rice (includes 1 teaspoon yogurt)
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 273; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Sodium: 545mg; Carbohydrate: 60g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 7g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 161mg; Iron: 8%; Vitamin A: 357%; Vitamin C: 70%; Calcium: 9%