Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
This Filipino braised chicken takes just minutes to prepare but has a complex flavor profile thanks to pantry items you likely have around — soy sauce, garlic and apple cider vinegar. We add fresh pineapple and Sriracha for a sweet-spicy kick.
The dish is traditionally served with white rice, but mashed sweet potatoes or quinoa are also delicious. Or opt for 1/2-cup (125g) cooked brown rice at 100 calories and 22 grams of carbohydrates to make a complete meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo With Pineapple
- 1/3 cup (75ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 9 bone-in chicken thighs, skin and excess fat removed
- 1 cup (150g) fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or Sambal Oelek (chile-garlic sauce)
- Steamed brown rice, for serving, optional
In a slow cooker, whisk together broth, vinegar, soy sauce and tomato paste until tomato paste is dissolved. Add the chicken, pineapple, onion, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and bay leaves, tossing to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 4–5 hours.
Carefully transfer chicken pieces to a platter and cover with foil. Transfer the pineapple and onion to a small saucepan. Add half of the cooking liquid, discarding remaining liquid, ginger slices, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water and Sriracha. Add to cooking liquid in saucepan. Cook until thickened and bubbly, 2 minutes.
Spoon sauce over chicken and serve with rice, if desired.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 chicken thighs and 1/2 cup [473ml] sauce
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 340; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 231mg; Sodium: 383mg; Carbohydrate: 6g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 44g