This easy twist on fried rice gets a protein boost from quinoa, egg whites and shrimp, making it a filling meal that will keep you full while satisfying your mid-week takeout cravings. For a quicker meal, use leftover quinoa from weekend meal prep for a one-pot dish that comes together in just minutes.
- 1 cup (240 ml) uncooked quinoa (or 2 cups precooked quinoa)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) chopped broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) snow peas
- 1 tablespoon (5 ml) chopped/grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove chopped/grated garlic
- 1 pound (454 grams) medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml)low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rice vinegar
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 9 tablespoons (135 ml) liquid egg whites (or 3 egg whites)
- chopped green onions, for garnish
Cook quinoa according to package directions, then set aside and allow to cool.
Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add all the vegetables, ginger and garlic, and cook for 4–5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Use a spatula to move the vegetables over to one side of the pan and add the shrimp to the empty pan space. Cook the shrimp for 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the quinoa, soy sauce, rice vinegar and red pepper flakes to the pan and stir to mix everything evenly.
Use a spatula to move everything over to one side of the pan and add the egg whites to the empty pan space. Scramble the egg whites until they’re fully cooked, then mix the scrambled egg white bits in with the rest of the mixture.
Garnish with chopped green onions and serve.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 257; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 180mg; Sodium: 658mg; Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 31g