Hands-on time: 15 minutes. Total time: 45 minutes.
If you’re a fan of sweet-spicy foods, you’ll love this sheet pan Jamaican jerk pork meal. Be sure to buy a tenderloin that has not been brined or saline-injected — this process adds sodium and artificial ingredients to an otherwise healthy source of protein.
- 1 pound (452 grams) sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 8 ounces (227 grams) fresh, trimmed pineapple, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon (.625 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 (20-ounce or 567 grams) pork tenderloin, trimmed
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place the sweet potatoes and pineapple in a mound on the baking sheet. Toss with 2 tablespoons oil and half of the pepper and salt. Arrange in an even layer and place in oven.
In a small bowl, mix the allspice, ginger, paprika, thyme, cayenne and remaining salt and pepper. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork and drizzle with the remaining teaspoon of oil. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the pork and brown on 2 flat sides, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Place the pork on the sheet pan with the vegetables, tucking the thin end of tenderloin under itself for even cooking.
Bake until the pork reaches 145˚F when tested with an instant-read thermometer in thickest part and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer the pork to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let it rest for 5 minutes. Return the vegetables to the oven for 5 minutes longer.
Thinly slice the pork crosswise and serve with the sweet potatoes, onions and pineapple.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 349; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 91mg; Sodium: 469mg; Carbohydrate: 30.4g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 9.9g; Protein: 31g