Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
Robust spices toasted with canned chickpeas form the anchor of this quick lunch. The spiced chickpeas are piled onto a bed of lemony, salted yogurt, along with tomato, cucumber and avocado. The result is a filling vegetarian meal packed with fiber.
RD tip: Chickpeas are a good source of fiber and protein. In fact, this recipe provides 75% of the daily fiber recommendations for women and 50% of daily fiber for men.
Shawarma-Spiced Chickpea Bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (16-ounce/454g) can low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (120g) plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (140g) tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (140g) English cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Stir in cumin, garlic powder, paprika and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds. Add chickpeas to pan; cook until lightly toasted, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, combine tomato, cucumber and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Spread about 1/4 cup yogurt mixture onto the bottom of two shallow bowls. Arrange about 3/4 cup chickpeas, 1 cup tomato mixture and half of the avocado into each bowl.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 bowl
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 401; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 600mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 18g; Sugar: 4g; Protein 18g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 472mg; Iron: 18%; Vitamin A: 21%; Vitamin C: 16%; Calcium: 15%
Keep simple, flavorful, healthy meals in rotation using our Dinner recipe collection in the MyFitnessPal app under “Recipe Discovery.”