Think of this dish as a Middle Eastern spin on your classic picnic potato salad, packed with more vegetables, fresh herbs and a bright-and-creamy tahini dressing. With 5 grams of fiber and its low-fat profile, this potato salad gives you all the indulgence of its traditional counterpart with more function and beneficial nutrients.
Since potato salad tends to have one texture throughout, this version is finished with a sprinkling of homemade dukkah, a crunchy Egyptian spice blend. For the best flavor, toast the spices separately yourself before mixing them together.
Active time: 45 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
Roasted Cauliflower-Potato Salad With Tahini
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound (453g) baby potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, halved and quartered if large
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tahini
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 6 radishes, halved and quartered if large
- 1/2 cup (50g) red onion, lightly packed thinly sliced
- 2 cups (45g) baby arugula, packed
- 1 cup (25g) mixed herbs, such as basil, cilantro, dill, mint, parsley and chives, packed
- Lemon wedges, optional, for serving
- Olive oil, optional, for drizzling
Preheat the oven to 500°F (260ºC). Spread the cauliflower florets on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the cauliflower, tossing occasionally, until tender and browned in spots, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
In a medium bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice, mustard, garlic and 1/4 cup of warm water. Season with salt and pepper. Add more water if the dressing is too thick; it should be thin enough to pour.
In a small bowl, mix the sesame seeds with the coriander, cumin, crushed red pepper and flaky sea salt.
In a large bowl, combine the roasted cauliflower with the potatoes, radishes and red onion. Drizzle the lemon-tahini dressing over the top and toss gently to coat. Fold in the arugula and half of the mixed herbs. Transfer the potato salad to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining mixed herbs. Squeeze a little more lemon juice over the top and drizzle with olive oil, if desired. Sprinkle generously with the dukkah and serve immediately.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 154; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 21g; Sodium: 332mg; Carbohydrate: 21g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Protein: 6g