All the great flavors the classic Huevos Rancheros dish is known for have been combined to create this chopped salad that’s packed full of protein and fiber. Substitute queso fresco for pepitas or extra avocado, if desired.
- 1 can (15-ounce or 425 grams) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (240 ml) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil vinaigrette dressing
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) kosher salt, divided
- 6 cups (1440 ml) romaine lettuce, thinly chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil
- 4 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) thin tortilla strips*
Combine beans, tomatoes, avocado, dressing, two tablespoons cheese and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl, stirring to combine. Divide lettuce among 4 plates, and top evenly with bean mixture.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to skillet, turning to coat. Crack eggs into pan, being careful to not break the yolks. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and cook them 2 minutes. Cover, and cook 2 more minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
Top each salad with a cooked egg. Sprinkle each salad evenly with remaining cheese and tortilla strips.
*Look for packages of thin tortilla strips in the produce section or on the aisle with croutons and salad dressings. You can also make your own by cutting corn tortillas into 1/2-inch strips (a pizza cutter works great for this). Lightly spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with a dash of salt or taco seasoning, and bake for 10 minutes or until golden, turning once.
Serves: 4 | Serving size: 1 salad
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 297; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 177mg; Sodium: 241mg; Carbohydrate: 177g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 14g