Active time: 20 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
This northern Chinese dish is traditionally made with pork and wrapped in thin wheat pancakes. In this lighter, vegetarian version, we substitute firm baked tofu for the pork, up the quantity of veggies and wrap the goodness in large lettuce leaves (which sneaks in an extra serving of vegetables). It’s worth reading labels when buying hoisin sauce; look for a brand with lower sodium and no artificial flavors or preservatives.
Healthy Mu Shu Tofu
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup (59ml) all-natural hoisin sauce (Wok Mei brand is lower in sodium)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
For the wraps
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 ounces (170g) plain baked tofu, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 5 ounces (143g) shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cups (312g) shredded cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head Boston lettuce, separated into whole leaves
Combine the sauce ingredients in a medium-sized serving bowl and set aside.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the wok. Add the tofu, mushrooms and bell pepper and stir-fry until the mushrooms begin to brown, 2 minutes. Push to one side of the wok.
Add the cabbage and pepper and stir-fry until limp, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the eggs and green onions, and toss all the ingredients until the egg is cooked, 1 minute. Pour into a large bowl. Serve, letting diners stuff the filling into their own lettuce leaves taco-style, dabbing the top of wraps with the sauce.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups (200g) filling, 4 lettuce leaves, 2 tablespoons sauce
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 246; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 93mg; Sodium: 550mg; Carbohydrate: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Protein: 12g